It’s handy to have a few snacks that are quick to prepare and easy to take along to picnics at the beach or hikes in the woods.
Here are a few healthy go-to snacks to have on hand in your fridge or pantry.
• Snacking vegetables like carrots, cucumbers, peppers
• Nuts and seeds
• Pretzels and crackers
Quick snacks are great, depending on how long you’re heading out for; it’s also nice to bring along more substantial fare. So whatever your adventure, here are a few hearty snacks to sustain you.
Egg & Cheese Bites
These two-bite egg and cheese quiches can be served hot or cold. Perfect for a simple snack, breakfast-on-the-go, or serve them as part of a larger meal. Fill them with your favourite vegetables: broccoli, mushrooms, coloured pepper or tomatoes. Don’t have time to prep vegetables? Use mixed frozen vegetables instead!
1⁄2 tsp salt, to taste
1 cup of finely chopped vegetables
3⁄4 cup of grated cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
2. Whisk together the eggs, salt and onion in a large bowl.
3. Divide the egg mixture between the 12 muffin cups, roughly 1⁄2 way up.
4. Divide the vegetables between the muffin cups then top with grated cheese.
5. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the eggs are firmly set.
6. Allow the eggs to cool slightly before transferring them to an air-tight storage container. Store in the fridge and enjoy within 4 days.
These tiny pizzas are made from puff pastry. They are super simple to put together and are delicious both hot and cold. Best of all, everyone loves them! This recipe includes olives, however, feel free to swap the olives for your favourite pizza topping. Finely diced bell pepper or a slice of pepperoni both work well, too.
1 package of puff pastry
1 can of pizza sauce
4 cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced
20 black olives, thinly sliced
8 oz of pizza cheese, grated
1. Defrost the puff pastry ahead of time following the directions on the package.
2. Preheat the oven to 425˚F.
3. Roll out the puff pastry until it is 3mm thick. Cut the pastry into roughly 20 squares.
4. Place the puff pastry squares on a baking sheet before assembling the pizzas.
5. Using the back of a spoon, spread 1 tsp of pizza sauce on each square of pastry.
6. Decorate the pizza puff with slices of tomato and olives. Then top with cheese.
7. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the puff pastry is browning.